March/April 2020 – This a call for all of us anglers to help support our local fishing communities
Usually, these journal posts practically write themselves. Words pour onto the page with little issue of sharing my story about the month’s fishing adventure. Admittedly this one is turning out to be a challenge. Primarily, because this story is still being written. As of now (April 16th), we are in the midst of a pandemic that has disrupted the livelihoods of many. Very much including our local fishing communities. So in lieu of my standard Student of Slay trip recap, I wanted to take a slightly different approach for this piece.
A majority of us, including Southern California, are under “Stay at Home” orders to help prevent the spread of Coronavirus. This means charter boat operators that are usually running full swing are now tied to the dock. Local tackle shops are either temporarily closed or only open on a limited basis. Equipment manufacturers are largely slowed or halted to ensure the safety of their teams. Big purchases, such as boat sales and service are being reevaluated while many 401k’s shrinks and the extreme volatility in the economy keeps cash close to home. It may seem hard to see the faint light at the end of the tunnel and I’m not so tone-deaf to all the uncertainty that surrounds the future. But it’s not all doom and gloom.
I’m naturally an unrelenting optimist that is always in search of a solution or way to help. It’s nearly impossible for me to just sitting back and just wait things out. So, insert your favorite positivity cliché here, strap on your rally caps, knock on wood – as I try to tackle the “900-pound Gorilla in the room” that is: What can we do to help boost and support our local fishing economy and community right now?
Let me preface this by saying that I’m sure I do not have the perfect answer here. Hell, my solution or ideas may be futile. Nevertheless, I want to show my token of appreciation and attempt to give back to a community that has given so much to me. So, this post is dedicated to those local charter operators, sport-boats, tackle shops, and other small businesses that make up the core of fishing. This a call for all of us anglers to help support our small fishing businesses that are feeling the tremendous stress of this current situation.
So, what can we do to help right now?
- There is no better way to show support than with our wallets. I understand that many fishing charters or shops aren’t currently open for business so if it’s not right now, then earmark some money for future trips or purchases. By no means, stretch yourself thin or make this be a “must-do” priority vs. true essentials but if it is doable. Spending the money for a future charter trip on your favorite boat. Or, buying that new reel you were on the fence about will go a long way to help turn things around.
- “Be social” and show your support through social media. This may seem a bit superficial, but perhaps following your favorite captain on Instagram or liking the page of your local tackle shop could convert into tangible dollars and cents down the road. Plus liking, commenting, leaving positive feedback on their pages and posts might be that little extra cheer that boosts morale for those on the receiving side. We all share the same passion here so spread the stoke when it’s arguably needed the most.
- Seas The Slay Support Local Giveaway: I’m jumping on the bandwagon here and putting together my first giveaway contest on Instagram. The goal is to shine the spotlight on some of the local charter captains and boats, tackle shops, and the other small businesses that drive this industry. Helping to promote some of your local favorites will help them gain exposure today and potential business “tomorrow”.
- What you Win: Winner Take All!
- Seasons Sportfishing: Open Party Voucher + Seasons Swag Bag
- Seeker Rods: Black Steel G6485 8.5’ Jig Stick
- Accurate Fishing: Tern 400X
- BD Outdoors: Swag Bag or Fishdope: 1-Year Subscription
- Pacific Coast Sportfishing: 3-Year Subscription
- Dana Landing: $200 Gift Certificate + Yeti Bucket
- Anglers Choice Tackle: $200 Gift Certificate + Jig selection
- What you Win: Winner Take All!
- How you Enter to Win: Winner announced May 1st
- Tag 3 friends in the comments
- Follow: @seasonssportfishing | @seekerrods | @accuratefishing | @bdoutdoors | @pacificcoastsportfishingmag |@danalanding | @anglerschoicetackle
- Follow @seastheslay – the winner will be drawn & announced on May 1st
- BONUS ENTRIES:
- 1 Bonus Entry: Share this post to your story + #supportlocalSTS
- 5 Bonus Entries: Post a pic/video of your catch & story supporting your favorite local charter/guide/boat-sport and/or local tackle shop + hashtag #supportlocalSTS + tag @seastheslay
As a quick final note – this by no means a paid endorsement and I’m not beholden to any type of sponsorship agreement. I purely want to give a shout out for the reason mentioned earlier – to show how much I appreciate these people and this community. I encourage you all to tune in to my Instagram @seastheslay and help me spread the good word of supporting our local fishing businesses. I’ll be posting frequent “Support Local” features on the aforementioned groups who have aided in my angling pursuits!